Friday, March 27, 2009

Placemat Purse

After my scrapbooking stint last week, I decided to do something very different with my crafty time this week. I used this tutorial from Small Fry & Co. She uses a single placemat to create an adorable little purse. Thank you to my friend Kayla for sending this along to me! Here's my take using a placemat I purchased at Target for $3.99. I picked up the beaded handles on clearance for under $3. The most expensive thing on this little bag is the magnetic clasp that holds it closed. I will admit that hand sewing is not really my thing (maybe it could be, but it's not right now). I did have to hand-sew the clasp and the handles about half a dozen times before getting them right. Practice makes perfect (or in my case something I wouldn't be embarrased to carry around!). I actually think the finished project is adorable, and if you can sew you've got to try this out.


Note: I just found out Small Fry is doing a giveaway through April 2nd, so be sure to run over and enter to win two beautiful fabric baskets . See her March 26th post.

5 comments:

  1. Wow -- that sure doesn't look like a placemat and it's really cute! Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. are you kidding me? You're so talented.. i would never be able to sew a bag out of anything!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sasha, that's what I thought, too. But this was so easy, seriously! No talent whatsoever required (trust me, cause I sure don't have sewing talent!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Rachel! Whenever I get a little note from you, a big smile spreads across my face! Small Fry did a great job with this tutorial--she made it SO easy, even for me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I love that you are leaving a little note to let me know you were here!