Tuesday, March 24, 2009

All in a night's work

Today I received the Rolodex I ordered last week. I am very excited to finally contain all my phone numbers, addresses, and other such info in one place. There is something nostalgic about a good, old-fashioned paper and pen type of organizer that I don't ever have to worry about crashing or getting a virus. But after copying lots of info onto those little cards, it just didn't look quite right. So after a bit of looking and pondering, measuring and cutting, stamping and gluing I took my Rolodex from this:


to this:

in just a couple short hours (it would have been less, but I was checking email, blogs, and Facebook in between!) Here's the gist of what I did:

  1. Cut divider cards to size (mine were 2 5/8 x 4"--perfect for getting 3 out of 1 strip of 12" paper) I used some K & Company double sided paper designed by Amy Butler that I've been saving for just the right project.
  2. Using a 1/4" square punch and rectangle punch, you can create the notches for the cards quite easily. Apparently there's also a punch specific for this task, but I don't have that. Simply line up a card that came with the Rolodex against your new cut card and punch away--very easy.
  3. Use the same designer paper to punch tabs for the letters using SU!'s Round Tab punch. I stamped my letters with a new alpha set I purchased just yesterday for only$1.97 on clearance.
  4. Adhere the tabs to the cards and pop into place on the Rolodex.
  5. I also punched 2-2" circles from the paper and adhered it to the knobs for a little more pizzazz. Isn't it adorable? And it was just the splash of color needed to make it into a happy, and useful desk accent!
If I knew anyone that was moving (and I'm glad I don't) this would make a great going away gift filled with addresses of friends and family. Wish I had thought of this in time for my cousin's shower the other day--it's perfect for a newly married couple. Or a graduate, or teacher, or friend who landed a new job. Or heck, just make one for yourself! But don't make the mistake I did and order it online. I saw the same exact thing today at Walmart for $7 less than what I paid--I hate when that happens! Have fun with it!

5 comments:

  1. This is a terrific idea! I have to admit that I too love the feel of paper! Sometimes it's just easier to have things within reach and not on some device!

    Thanks for the terrific tutorial too!

    HUGS!

    P.S. You should send this over to Rachel at One Pretty Thing. I bet she would feature it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I am going on a thrift store Rolodex hunt so I can do this myself. LOVE it! And I love that Lolly always sends me the BEST people and the most fabulous projects! She's such a connector!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is awesome possum! But I don't have the tab punch nor am I able to purchase it right now. Could a circle punch work instead?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A circle punch is a great idea and would definitely work for this! You could leave them as circles, or fold the circle in half to create a straight-edged tab.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I love that you are leaving a little note to let me know you were here!